Assessment of appendage effect on forward resistance reduction
This paper shows experimental and numerical results of three types of appendages on forward resistance reduction of displacement and semidisplacement hulls. Forward resistance results were obtained by using Computational Fluid Dynamics and towing tank tests. The appendages evaluated are stern flaps and interceptors for displacement hulls and spray railspray rails for a semiplaning hull. The experiments are independent from each other and no research was undertaken to include the combined effect of appendages on a single hull. The predicted reduction in forward resistance in all three tested devices is around 5-10%, showing potential for fuel saving through the evaluation of hydrodynamic effects of energy saving appendages.
BAOS, RODRIGO (2011). “Diseño de Interceptores para Embarcaciones de Pesca Mediante Códigos CFD”. Universidad Austral de Chile 2011.
BERTRAM, VOLKER (2011). “Practical Ship Hydrodynamics”. Butterworth-Heinemann. Second Edition.
CUSANELLI, D., KARAFIATH, G., AND LIN, CHENG WEN (1999). “Stern Wedges and Stern Flaps for Improved Powering Performance – U.S. Navy Experience”, SNAME Annual Meeting, Sept. 29 – Oct 2, 1999, Baltimore, M.D.
DÍAZ, JORGE (2012). “Comparación Numérica de Dispositivos de Reducción de Resistencia al Avance en una Embarcación de Semi-Desplazamiento”. Universidad Austral de Chile, 2009.
ETSIN (2002). “Estudio de optimización hidrodinámicas de las formas de una serie de buques pesqueros de casco de PRFV” . Proyecto N° 0104. Canal de Ensayos Hidrodinámicos E.T.S.I.N., UPM, 02 de abril 2002.
FERZIGER, J. H.AND PERIC, M. (2002). “Computational Methods for Fluid Dynamics.” 3rd edition, Springer, 2002.
JIMÉNEZ, PATRICIO (2009). "Análisis experimental de una serie de flaps de popa en unidad de desplazamiento". Universidad Austral de Chile, 2009.
MILLWARD, A. (1976). “Effect of Wedges on the Performance Characteristics of Two Planing Hulls”, Journal of Ship Research, Vol. 20, No. 4, Dec. 1976.
MULLER-GRAF, BURKHARD (1991). The effect of an advanced spray rail system on resistance and development of spray of semi-displacement round bilge hulls. FAST 91. First International Conference on Fast Sea Transportation, Trondheim, Norway, June 1991.
SALAS, M.; ROSAS, J. AND LUCO, R. (2004). “Hydrodynamic Analysis of the Performance of Stern Flaps in a Semi-Displacement Hull”. Latin American Applied Research. Vol. 34.
SEPÚLVEDA, PATRICIO (2006). “Diseño de interceptores en pesqueros utilizando pruebas experimentales y códigos CFD”, E.T.S.I.N., Abril 2006.
How to Cite
The authors who publish in this Journal certify that:
- The work submitted for publication in The Ship Science and Technology journal, was written by the author, given that its content is the product of his/her direct intellectual contribution.
- All data and references to material already published are duly identified with their respective credits and are included in the bibliographic notes and quotations highlighted as such.
- All materials submitted for publication are completely free of copyrights; consequently, the author accepts responsibility for any lawsuit or claim related with Intellectual Property Rights thereof, Exonerating of responsibility to The Science and Technology for the Development of Naval, Maritime, and Riverine Industry Corporation, COTECMAR.
- In the event that the article is chosen for publication by The Ship Science and Technology journal, the author state that he/she totally transfers reproduction rights of such to The Science and Technology for the Development of Naval, Maritime, and Riverine Industry Corporation, COTECMAR.
- The authors retain the copyright and transfer to COTECMAR the right of publication and reproduction of the work which will be simultaneously subject to the Creative Commons Attribution License (CC -BY) , which allows the license to copy, distribute, display and represent the work and to make derivative works as long as it recognizes and cites the work in the manner specified by the author or licensor.
- For more information about the Creative Commons Attribution License (CC -BY) and his use and scope, please visit the following web page https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/legalcode