Perspectives for the development of unmanned surface vehicles in Colombia: Cotecmar case
Keywords:USV, Industry 4.0, Autonomous
The fourth industrial revolution began a few years ago with the advancement and integration of artificial intelligence, digitalization, and automation in different economic sectors. The naval industry in different countries has also been at the forefront of this revolution, introducing robotics to achieve ships with levels of automation and surface vehicles with autonomous navigation, which can operate without crew on board. This is how the Colombian naval industry has also started this path towards maturity in the development and integration of 4.0 technologies in unmanned surface vehicles (USV), being pointed out in the naval development plan 2042  of the Colombian Navy as an opportunity for technological advancement. COTECMAR, being a fundamental part in the support and projection of the Colombian Navy's capabilities, proposes a route for the design and construction of the first Colombian USV; for this reason, this article presents through a review, the efforts and progress made in the past and to date, as well as what is proposed for the future, the challenges and impact on the Colombian naval industry. This review will allow the generation of a strategic vision in the current members of the project and may also generate new interested parties that, through their knowledge, will generate valuable contributions that can promote a project that will guide the Colombian Navy towards the technological vanguard.
«Armada República de Colombia, «Plan de Planeamiento de Desarrollo Naval 2042, primera edición,» Bogotá - Colombia., 2020.
K. SCHWAB, «La Cuarta Revolución Industrial (P.Gayozzo y F. López de Pomar Trad.),» Futuro hoy, vol. 1, nº 1, pp. 6-10, 2020.
COTECMAR, «Direccionamiento Estratégico de Cotecmar 2019-2034,» Cartagena - Colombia, 2019.
H. A. BUCHEIM DUARTE, «Obtención del modelo de velocidad para el vehículo de superficie no tripulado "Sabalo" y su futura actualización en el desarrollo del sistema de control de navegación de la embarcación.,» Escuela Naval de Cadetes Almirante Padilla, Facultad de Ingeniería Naval., Cartagena de Indias. Colombia, 2018.
GRUPO INNOVA, «USV SÁBALO, Entregable E 2.3.1 Documento de especificaciones.,» España, 2013.
L. AMADOR REYES Y N. CORREA RAMOS, «Implementación del sistema de control de camara PTZ por radiofrecuencia en Vehiculos de Superficie no Tripulados "SABALO",» Escuela Naval de Cadetes Almirante Padilla, Facultad de Ingeniería Naval. , Cartagena de Indias. Colombia. , 2017.
D. M. CUBIDES GARZON Y M. A. ARIZA ZULUAGA, «Vehículos de superficie no tripulados: avance de la tecnología y su aplicación en la Armada de la República de Colombia,» de Tecnologías de la cuarta revolución industrial y su aplicación en la Armada Nacional de Colombia, Bogota D.C. Colombia, Universidad del Rosario., 2022, pp. 195-234. https://doi.org/10.12804/urosario9789587848786
K. BLOMBERG Y J. GROSS, Conceptual Study of a USV for the Swedish Navy, Swedish Defense Material Administration (FMV), 2014.
Deparment of the Navy, The Navy unmanned surface vehicle (USV) Master Plan, Estados Unidos, 2007.
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2023 Cotecmar
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The authors who publish in this Journal certify that:
- The work submitted for publication in The Ship Science and Technology journal, was written by the author, given that its content is the product of his/her direct intellectual contribution.
- All data and references to material already published are duly identified with their respective credits and are included in the bibliographic notes and quotations highlighted as such.
- All materials submitted for publication are completely free of copyrights; consequently, the author accepts responsibility for any lawsuit or claim related with Intellectual Property Rights thereof, Exonerating of responsibility to The Science and Technology for the Development of Naval, Maritime, and Riverine Industry Corporation, COTECMAR.
- In the event that the article is chosen for publication by The Ship Science and Technology journal, the author state that he/she totally transfers reproduction rights of such to The Science and Technology for the Development of Naval, Maritime, and Riverine Industry Corporation, COTECMAR.
- The authors retain the copyright and transfer to COTECMAR the right of publication and reproduction of the work which will be simultaneously subject to the Creative Commons Attribution License (CC -BY) , which allows the license to copy, distribute, display and represent the work and to make derivative works as long as it recognizes and cites the work in the manner specified by the author or licensor.
- For more information about the Creative Commons Attribution License (CC -BY) and his use and scope, please visit the following web page https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/legalcode