Latam Shipbuilding Competitiveness
After an introduction on the region’s shipbuilding industry, it moves into an analysis of some aspects of this industry’s competitiveness, comparing Latin American (LatAm) shipyards with those of other regions with more developed industries. Among the m se aspects are: productivity, learning curve, specialization, labor cost, delivery times and government policies.
Second part deals with specific opportunities for domestic shipyards and ideas for developing their competitive advantages to generate value and social impact in the region, while safeguarding the environment. Six niches or opportunities are presented here, which are in all cases related to casting a new regard on Nature in our region. Nature being understood as the sum of natural resources, with the riches in fishery and offshore hydrocarbons standing out among them, but also those of the broad navigable rivers and lastly that of a privileged geographical position in terms of the extreme closeness to the Antarctic.
AGÊNCIA BRASILEIRA DE DESENVOLVIMENTO INDUSTRIAL (ABDI) - Construção Naval - Breve análise do cenário brasileiro em 2007. Série de Cuadernos da Indústria. CGEE, Centro de Gestão e Estudos Estratégicos. Brasilia, 2008.
BOTTER R.- TDR 003/2018 Projeto FEMAR - Transporte Marítimo no Brasil, Escola Politécnica da Universidade de São Paulo, Departamento de Engenharia Naval e Oceânica, 2018.
CENTRO EUROPEO PARA LA COMPETITIVIDAD, Estudio de mercado para la integración productiva de cadenas de valor en las zonas económicas especiales como factor de atracción de inversiones para el sector de la industria de embarcaciones y auxiliares mexicana y diseño del Clúster Naval Mexicano (Volumen 1), Secretaría de Economía Confederación de Cámaras Industriales de los Estados Unidos Mexicanos , Jalisco, Méjico, 2016.
ECORYS Research and Consulting - Study on Competitiveness of the European Shipbuilding Industry, Sectoral Competitiveness Studies - ENTR/06/054, Rotterdam, 8 October 2009.
OETINGER, L. - Diagnóstico y Análisis de la Industria Naval en la Comuna de Valdivia, Escuela de Ingeniería Comercial, Universidad Austral de Chile, Valdivia, 2005
ORGANISATION FOR ECONOMIC CO- OPERATION AND DEVELOPMENT (OECD) - State owned enterprises in the shipbuilding sector, OECD Science, Technology And Industry Policy Papers No. 98, February 2021.
PODETTI, R. - Argentine Shipbuilding Industry, 100 Years (1937-2036). First Edition. Buenos Aires, 2018. Blue Industry Collection, https://industrianaval.com.ar/ ISBN 978-987-42- 7342-0
PODETTI, R. - Shipbuilding Industry in Brazil, 100 Years (1960-2060), 28o Congresso Internacional deTransporte Aquaviário, Construção Naval e Offshore. Rio de Janeiro Brazil, October 19-21 2020.
PODETTI R., BRAÑAS, C., and SANCHEZ CHECA F., - Dragado Inclusivo, Sustentable y Competitivo. First Edition. Buenos Aires. Vector Naval. Facultad de Ingeniería de la Universidad de Buenos Aires, 2021. Colección Industria Azul. https://industrianaval.com.ar/ ISBN 978-987-86-8720-9 https://doi.org/10.17648/sobena-2020-122871
UNITED NATIONS INDUSTRIAL DEVELOPMENT ORGANIZATION (UNIDO) - Competitive Industrial Performance Report 2012/2013, Vienna, 2013.
Copyright (c) 2022 Cotecmar
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The authors who publish in this Journal certify that:
- The work submitted for publication in The Ship Science and Technology journal, was written by the author, given that its content is the product of his/her direct intellectual contribution.
- All data and references to material already published are duly identified with their respective credits and are included in the bibliographic notes and quotations highlighted as such.
- All materials submitted for publication are completely free of copyrights; consequently, the author accepts responsibility for any lawsuit or claim related with Intellectual Property Rights thereof, Exonerating of responsibility to The Science and Technology for the Development of Naval, Maritime, and Riverine Industry Corporation, COTECMAR.
- In the event that the article is chosen for publication by The Ship Science and Technology journal, the author state that he/she totally transfers reproduction rights of such to The Science and Technology for the Development of Naval, Maritime, and Riverine Industry Corporation, COTECMAR.
- The authors retain the copyright and transfer to COTECMAR the right of publication and reproduction of the work which will be simultaneously subject to the Creative Commons Attribution License (CC -BY) , which allows the license to copy, distribute, display and represent the work and to make derivative works as long as it recognizes and cites the work in the manner specified by the author or licensor.
- For more information about the Creative Commons Attribution License (CC -BY) and his use and scope, please visit the following web page https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/legalcode