A Preliminary Study of Routing Protocols in a Tactical Data Link Ad Hoc Network in Colombian Maritime Scenario
Tactical Data Link (TDL) systems are a kind of Mobile Ad Hoc NETwork (MANET) used in diverse maritime operational environments such as natural disasters, surveillance, maritime search, and rescue. A TDL network is usually composed of nodes or units representing surface ships, submarines, and aircrafts able to participate in maritime operations. A routing protocol is required to establish communication between nodes, which guarantees the route from the source node to the destination node. A TDL has been developed in the Colombian Caribbean Sea (CTDL). However, no efficient routing protocol has been implemented. This works to perform a preliminary study to implement an appropriate routing protocol for the CTDL.
Local environment constraints, in addition to the chosen protocols' performance analysis, will provide preliminary alternatives for a routing protocol with acceptable efficiency. This article provides a background of ad-hoc networks routing protocols, a description of the Colombian Caribbean maritime operational environment, a comparative analysis of routing protocols, and a discussion of conclusions and future developments regarding CTDL.
C.-K. TOH, Ad Hoc Mobile Wireless Networks, Protocols and Systems, Upper Saddle River, New Jersey: Prentice-Hall, 2002.
S. M. L. S. M. T. GUSTAVO PEREZ VALDEZ, "Desarrollo de un Enlace de Datos Tactico, Fsae 1: Prototipo," COTECMAR, Cartagena, 2012.
I. BOLT BERANEK AND NEWMAN, "A History of the ARPANET," DARPA, Arlington, Virginia, 1981.
J. P. O. GRADY AND A. MCDONALD, "State of the Art: Ad Hoc Networking," M-Zones Deliverable 1, vol. State of Art Surveys, no. 2, pp. 16-26, Mayo 2003.
C. L. G. JR., "Data Link Communications Tactical Air Command and Control Systems,"IEEE JOURNAL SELECTED AREAS IN COMMUNICATIONS, vol. SAC 3, no. 5, pp. 779-790, 1985. https://doi.org/10.1109/JSAC.1985.1146251
J. M. GOMEZ T., W. A. CASTRO C, G. PEREZ V, S. MARRUGO LL. AND J. VILLEGAS D, "Codesarrollo de un Sistema De red Tactica Naval .....," COTECMAR, Cartagena, 2015.
B. TANG, BAOLIU YE, L. SANGLU, G. SONG AND I. STOJMENOVIC, "Latencyoptimized Broadcast in Mobile Ad Hoc Networks without Node Coordination," in MobiHoc 2014, Philadelphia, PA, USA, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1145/2632951.2632982
K. A. JAGADEV, K. B. PATTANAYAK, K. M. MISHRA AND M. NAYAK, "Power and Delay Aware On-Demand Routing For Ad Hoc Networks," IJCSE International Journal of Computational Science and Engineering, vol. 02, no. 04, pp. 917-923, 2010.
M. GERLA, L.-J. CHEN, Y.-Z. LEE, B. ZHOU, J. CHEN, G. YANG, AND S. DAS, "Dealing with node mobility in Ad Hoc wireless. Network," UCLA, Computer Science Department, Los Angeles, California, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1007/11419822_3
NORTHROP GRUMMAN, LINK 22 Guidebook Overview, San Diego, California: Space & Mission Systems Corp., 2010, p. 120.
P. KUOSMANEN, "Classification of Ad Hoc Routing Protocols," Helsinki.
L. COYA REY, T. O. LEDESMA QUIÑONES AND W. BALUJA GARCÍA, "Protocolos de enrutamiento aplicables a redes MANET," REVISTA TELEM@TICA, vol. 13, no. 3, pp. 59-74, 2014.
M. VENKAT AND N. KASIVISWANATH, "Routing Protocols for Wireless Mesh Networks," International Journal of Scientific & Engineering Research, vol. 12, no. 8, 2011.
C.-K. T. ELIZABETH M. ROYER, "A Review of Current Routing Protocols for Ad Hoc Mobile Wireless Networks," IEEE Personal Communications, vol. 6, no. 2, pp. 46-55, April 1999. https://doi.org/10.1109/98.760423
S. MURTHY AND J. GARCIA-LUNAACEVES, "A Routing Protocol for Packet Radio Networks," Proceedings of ACM First International Conference on Mobile Computing & Networking MOBICOM95, Noviembre 95.
S. MURTHY AND J. GARCIA-LUNAACEVES, "An efficient Routing Protocol for wireless Network," ACM Mobile Networks and App. J., no. Special on Routing In Mobile Communication Network, pp. 97-183, Octubre 1996. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01193336
A. TANENBAUM, Computer Networks, vol. 3, Englewood, New Jersey: Prentice-Hall, 1996, pp. 357-358.
C. -C. CHIANG, "Routing In Clustered Multihop, Mobile Wireless Networks with Fading Chanel," in IEEE SICON 97, Singapore, April 1997.
M. SHOBANA AND S. KARTHIK, "A Performance Analysis and Comparison of various Routing Protocols in MANET," in Proceedings International Conference on Pattern Recognition, Informatics and Mobile Engineering, Tamilnadu, India, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/ICPRIME.2013.6496508
S. TANEJA AND A. KUSH, "A Survey of Routing Protocols in Mobile Ad Hoc Networks," International Journal of Innovation and Technology, vol. 1, no. 3, pp. 279-285, August 2010.
M. SHOBANA AND S. KARTHIK, "A Performance Analysis and Comparison of various Routing Protocols in MANET," in International Conference on Pattern Recognition, Informatics and Mobile Engineering (PRIME), Tamilnadu, India, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/ICPRIME.2013.6496508
H. T. DUYEN, W. BENJAPOLAKUL AND P. D. MINH, "Performance evaluation and comparison of different ad hoc routing protocols," Computer Communications, pp. 2478-2496, 4 May 2007. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.comcom.2007.04.007
D. JOHNSON AND D. MALTZ, "DYNAMIC SOURCE ROUNTING IN AD-HOC WIRELESS NETWORKS," in Mobile Computing, T. Imielinski, and H. Korth, Kluwer, 1996.
V. PARK AND M. CORSON, "A Highly Adaptive Distributed Routing Algorithm for Mobile Wireless Networks," in INFOCOM 97, Kobe, Japan, 1997.
S. MURTHY AND J. GARCIA -LUNAACEVES, "Loop-Free Internet Routing Protocol Using Hierarchical Routings tress," in INFOCOM '97, Kobe, Japan, 1997.
C.-C. CHIANG, M. GERLA, AND L. ZHANG, "Adaptative Shared Tree Multicast in Mobile Wireless Networks," in GLOBECOM 98, Sidney, Australia, 1998.
L. JI AND M. CORSON, "A lightweight Adaptive Multicast Algorithm," in GLOBECOM 98, Sidney, Australia, NOV-1998.
Copyright (c) 2020 Cotecmar
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The authors who publish in this Journal certify that:
- The work submitted for publication in The Ship Science and Technology journal, was written by the author, given that its content is the product of his/her direct intellectual contribution.
- All data and references to material already published are duly identified with their respective credits and are included in the bibliographic notes and quotations highlighted as such.
- All materials submitted for publication are completely free of copyrights; consequently, the author accepts responsibility for any lawsuit or claim related with Intellectual Property Rights thereof, Exonerating of responsibility to The Science and Technology for the Development of Naval, Maritime, and Riverine Industry Corporation, COTECMAR.
- In the event that the article is chosen for publication by The Ship Science and Technology journal, the author state that he/she totally transfers reproduction rights of such to The Science and Technology for the Development of Naval, Maritime, and Riverine Industry Corporation, COTECMAR.
- The authors retain the copyright and transfer to COTECMAR the right of publication and reproduction of the work which will be simultaneously subject to the Creative Commons Attribution License (CC -BY) , which allows the license to copy, distribute, display and represent the work and to make derivative works as long as it recognizes and cites the work in the manner specified by the author or licensor.
- For more information about the Creative Commons Attribution License (CC -BY) and his use and scope, please visit the following web page https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/legalcode