Study of the weld ability of aluminum alloy 5083 H116 with pulsed arc GMAW (GMAW-P)
This research was based on the analysis of the weldability of aluminum joints, Alloy GL AW 5083 H116, with filler AWS 5.10 ER 5183 by GMAW-P process to determine the conditions of the heat-affected zone in the base material, depending on the heat input for the GMAW-P process with different pulsed technologies available in Colombia. The variables considered within this study were: welding positions (horizontal, vertical up, and overhead), type of welded joints (butt and fillet), and parameters for welding equipment (voltage, current, speed, power supply, speed development), and protective gas used (Argon, 100%). Non-destructive and destructive testing techniques were used to characterize the discontinuities found and the criteria to accept or reject the AWS D1.2 code (STRUCTURAL WELDING CODE - ALUMINUM by the AMERICAN WELDING SOCIETY). As a result, the investigation yielded the conditions for the application of filler material (ER 5183) on base material (alloy AW5083 GL H116), supported by Welding Procedure Specifications Documents (WPS) and Procedure Qualification Record (PQR) to implement in aluminum welding at the COTECMAR shipyard.
Ingeniería de soldadura - Efraín Tabares A. - Profesor asociado a la Universidad Nacional de Colombia - Abril 5 del 2001 - Departamento de ingeniería mecánica - Universidad Nacional de Colombia.
Journal of Achievements in Materials and Manufacturing Engineering - Arc voltage behavior of one drop per pulse mode in GMAW-P - VOLUME 17- ISSUE 1-2 -July-August - 2006.
SUNARC - Tecnología en soldadura- www.sunarc.com
GASES DE PROTECCIÓN PARA LA SOLDADURA - Publicación Abello Linde.
PROCESOS DE SOLDADURA POR ARCO PULSADO - EXSA- Juan Guardia G. - OERLIKON.
MANUAL DEL SOLDADOR - Germán Hernández Riesco - Asociación española de soldadura y Tecnología de unión.
EL LIBRO DEL ALUMINIO, INDUSTRIA Y ARQUITECTURA - Alu-stock S.A.- capitulo 10 - información técnica.
MANUAL DE SOLDADURA MODERNA - Tomo 1 - segunda edición - Howard B. Cary - Prentice Hall Hispanoamericana S.A.
AMERICAN BUREAU OF SHIPPING - Requirements for Materials and Welding - PART 2 - Aluminum.
HUEHL, ROBERT O. Diseño de experimentos 2ª edición Thomson Learning.
AWS D1.2 - Structural Welding Code - Aluminum
Copyright (c) 2012 Ciencia y tecnología de buques
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The authors who publish in this Journal certify that:
- The work submitted for publication in The Ship Science and Technology journal, was written by the author, given that its content is the product of his/her direct intellectual contribution.
- All data and references to material already published are duly identified with their respective credits and are included in the bibliographic notes and quotations highlighted as such.
- All materials submitted for publication are completely free of copyrights; consequently, the author accepts responsibility for any lawsuit or claim related with Intellectual Property Rights thereof, Exonerating of responsibility to The Science and Technology for the Development of Naval, Maritime, and Riverine Industry Corporation, COTECMAR.
- In the event that the article is chosen for publication by The Ship Science and Technology journal, the author state that he/she totally transfers reproduction rights of such to The Science and Technology for the Development of Naval, Maritime, and Riverine Industry Corporation, COTECMAR.
- The authors retain the copyright and transfer to COTECMAR the right of publication and reproduction of the work which will be simultaneously subject to the Creative Commons Attribution License (CC -BY) , which allows the license to copy, distribute, display and represent the work and to make derivative works as long as it recognizes and cites the work in the manner specified by the author or licensor.
- For more information about the Creative Commons Attribution License (CC -BY) and his use and scope, please visit the following web page https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/legalcode