On the numerical prediction of the ship’s manoeuvring behaviour
A numerical procedure to predict the manoeuvrability of a ship based on Reynolds Averaged Navier Stokes simulations is described together with some recommended practices to obtain feasible results. The paper is dedicated to surface ships in unrestricted waters where usually only four degrees of freedom (DoF) are relevant. An example for a tanker shows the capability of the proposed method.
ABKOWITZ, M.A., (1964), "Lectures on Ship Hydrodynamics - Steering and Manoeuvrability", HyA Report HY-5, Copenhagen.
CARRICA, P.M., ISMAIL, F., HYMAN, M., BHUSHAN, S., AND STERN, F. (2008), "Turn and zigzag manoeuvres of a surface combatant using a URANS approach with dynamic overset grids", SIMMAN 2008, Copenhagen Cura Hochbaum, A. and Vogt, M. (2002), "Towards the Simulation of Seakeeping and Manoeuvring based on the Computation of the Free Surface Viscous Ship Flow", 24th ONR Symposium on Naval Hydrodynamics, Fukuoka.
CURA HOCHBAUM, A. (2006), "Virtual PMM Tests for Manoeuvring Prediction", 26th ONR Symposium on Naval Hydrodynamics, Rome.
CURA HOCHBAUM, A., VOGT, M., GATCHELL, S. (2008), "Manoeuvring prediction for two tankers based on RANS calculations", SIMMAN 2008, Copenhagen.
IMO, International Maritime Organization, (2002), Resolution MSC.137(76), "Standards for Ship Manoeuvrability", London.
FERZIGER, J.H., PERIC, M. (2002), "Computational Methods for Fluid Dynamics", Springer.
HIRT, C.W., AND NICHOLS, B.D. (1981), "Volume of Fluid (VOF) Method for the Dynamics of free Boundaries", J. of Comp. Physics, Vol.39.
LAUNDER, B.E., AND SPALDING, D.B. (1974), "The numerical computation of turbulent flows", Comput. Meth. in Appl. Mech. Eng. Vol.3.
MENTER, F.R. (1994), "Two-Equation Eddy- Viscosity Turbulence Models for Engineering Applications", AIAA Journal, Vol.32, No.8.
OSHER, S., AND SETHIAN, J.A. (1988), "Fronts Propagating with Curvature-Dependent Speed: Algorithms Based on Hamilton-Jacobi Formulations", J. of Comp. Physics, Vol.79.
STERN, F. AND AGDRUP, K. (editors) (2009), "Proceedings of the Workshop on Verification and Validation of Ship Manoeuvring Simulation Methods SIMMAN 2008", FORCE Technology, Lyngby, Denmark
THOMPSON, J.F., WARSI, Z.U.A., MASTIN, C.W. (1985), "Numerical Grid Generation: Foundations and Applications", North Holland, New York Wilcox, D.C. (1993), "Turbulence Modeling for CFD", DCW Industries, La Cañada, California
Copyright (c) 2011 Ciencia y tecnología de buques
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The authors who publish in this Journal certify that:
- The work submitted for publication in The Ship Science and Technology journal, was written by the author, given that its content is the product of his/her direct intellectual contribution.
- All data and references to material already published are duly identified with their respective credits and are included in the bibliographic notes and quotations highlighted as such.
- All materials submitted for publication are completely free of copyrights; consequently, the author accepts responsibility for any lawsuit or claim related with Intellectual Property Rights thereof, Exonerating of responsibility to The Science and Technology for the Development of Naval, Maritime, and Riverine Industry Corporation, COTECMAR.
- In the event that the article is chosen for publication by The Ship Science and Technology journal, the author state that he/she totally transfers reproduction rights of such to The Science and Technology for the Development of Naval, Maritime, and Riverine Industry Corporation, COTECMAR.
- The authors retain the copyright and transfer to COTECMAR the right of publication and reproduction of the work which will be simultaneously subject to the Creative Commons Attribution License (CC -BY) , which allows the license to copy, distribute, display and represent the work and to make derivative works as long as it recognizes and cites the work in the manner specified by the author or licensor.
- For more information about the Creative Commons Attribution License (CC -BY) and his use and scope, please visit the following web page https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/legalcode