Calculations of the Hydrodynamic Characteristics of a Ducted Propeller Operating in Oblique Flow
The purpose of this paper is to calculate the hydrodynamic performance of a ducted propeller (hereafter Duct_P) at oblique flows. e numerical code based on the solution of the Reynolds-averaged Navier– Stokes equations (RANSE) applies to the Kaplan propeller with 19A duct. e shear-stress transport (SST)-k-ω turbulence model is used for the present results. Open-water hydrodynamic results are compared with experimental data showing a relatively acceptable agreement. Two oblique flow angles selected to analyze in this paper are 10 and 20 degrees. Numerical results of the pressure distribution and hydrodynamic performance are presented and discussed.
Bhattacharyya A., Neitzel J.C., Steen S., AbdelMaksoud M., Krasilnikov V., , “Influence of flow transition on open and ducted propeller characteristics,” Fourth International Symposium on Marine Propulsors, Austin, Texas, USA, June, 2015.
Bosschers J, Willemsen Ch., Peddle A., Rijpkema D., “Analysis of ducted propellers by combining potential flow and RANS methods,” Fourth International Symposium on Marine Propulsors, pp.639-648, Austin, Texas, USA, June, 2015.
Broglia R, Dubbioso G, Durante D, Di Mascio A., “Simulation of turning circle by CFD: analysis of different propeller models and their effect on maneuvering prediction,” in Applied Ocean Research, 2013, 39(1), pp.1–10.
Carlton J. S., “Marine propellers and Propulsion,” 2013, Theird edition, Elsevier Ltd.
Chamanara M., Ghassemi H, “Hydrodynamic “Characteristics of the kort-nozzle propeller by different turbulence models,” American Journal of Mechanical Engineering 4 (5), 169-172.
Dubbioso G., Muscari R., Mascio A.D., “Analysis of the performances of a marine propeller operating in oblique flow,” in Computers & Fluids, 75, April 2013, pp.86–102.
Falcao de Campos, 1983, “On the calculation of ducted propeller performance in axisymmetric flows,” PhD esis, Delft University, Wageningen, e Netherlands.
Ghassemi H., Taherinasab M., 2013, “Numerical calculations of the hydrodynamic performance of the contra-rotating propeller (CRP) for high speed vehicle,” Polish Maritime Research, 20(2), pp.13- 20.
Gu H and Kinnas S A., “Modeling of contrarotating and ducted propellers via coupling of a vortex-lattice with a finite volume method,” in Proceedings of Propeller/Shafting Symposium, SNAME, Virginia Beach, USA, 2003.
Haimov H., Bobo M. J., Vicario J., and Del Corral J., “Ducted propellers; a solution for better propulsion of ships, calculations and practice,” in Proceedings of the 1st International Symposium on Fishing Vessel Energy Efficiency, Vigo, Spain, 2010.
Hoekstra, M., “A RANS-based analysis tool for ducted propeller systems in open water conditions,” International Shipbuilding Progress 53, 2006, pp. 205-227.
Kamarlouei M., Ghassemi H., Aslansefat A., Nematy D., “Multi-objective evolutionary optimization technique applied to propeller design,” Acta Polytechnica Hungarica, 2014, 11(9).
Kerwin J. E., Kinnas S. A., Lee J. T. & Shih, W.Z., “A surface panel method for the hydrodynamic analysis of ducted propellers,” Transactions of Society of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers, 1987, 95.
Majdfar S., Ghassemi H., Forouzan H., “Hydrodynamic Effects of the Length and Angle of the Ducted Propeller,” in Journal of Ocean, Mechanical and Aerospace–Science and Engineering Vol. 25.
Menter, F. R., “Two-equation eddy-viscosity turbulence models for engineering applications,” in AIAA Journal, 32(8), 1994, pp. 1598-1605.
Shamsi, R. Ghassemi H., “Time-accurate analysis of the viscous flow around puller podded drive using sliding mesh method,” in Journal of Fluids Engineering, 2015, Volume 137 / 011101-1.
Vega A. and Martinez D.L, , “Reenactment of a bollard pull test for a double propeller tugboat using computational fluid dynamics”, in Ship Science & Technology, 2015, Vol. 8, no. 17, pp. 9-18.
Yari E., Ghassemi H.,, “Hydrodynamic analysis of the surface-piercing propeller (SPP) in unsteady open water condition using boundary element method,” in International Journal of Naval Architecture and Ocean Engineering, 2016, Volume 8, pp. 22-37.
Zondervan, G-J., Hoekstra, M. & Holtrop, J., “Flow analysis, design and testing of ducted propellers”, Proceedings of Propeller/Shafting Symposium, Virginia Beach, United States, 2006.
Yao J., “Investigation on hydrodynamic performance of a marine propeller in oblique flow by RANS computations,” in International Journal of Naval Architecture and Ocean Engineering, 2015, 7(1), Pp56-69.
Copyright (c) 2017 Ciencia y tecnología de buques
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The authors who publish in this Journal certify that:
- The work submitted for publication in The Ship Science and Technology journal, was written by the author, given that its content is the product of his/her direct intellectual contribution.
- All data and references to material already published are duly identified with their respective credits and are included in the bibliographic notes and quotations highlighted as such.
- All materials submitted for publication are completely free of copyrights; consequently, the author accepts responsibility for any lawsuit or claim related with Intellectual Property Rights thereof, Exonerating of responsibility to The Science and Technology for the Development of Naval, Maritime, and Riverine Industry Corporation, COTECMAR.
- In the event that the article is chosen for publication by The Ship Science and Technology journal, the author state that he/she totally transfers reproduction rights of such to The Science and Technology for the Development of Naval, Maritime, and Riverine Industry Corporation, COTECMAR.
- The authors retain the copyright and transfer to COTECMAR the right of publication and reproduction of the work which will be simultaneously subject to the Creative Commons Attribution License (CC -BY) , which allows the license to copy, distribute, display and represent the work and to make derivative works as long as it recognizes and cites the work in the manner specified by the author or licensor.
- For more information about the Creative Commons Attribution License (CC -BY) and his use and scope, please visit the following web page https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/legalcode